High School Guidance Counselor
Unleash the power of automation for your job search (Paid option) Apply Manually(Free)
I have time, I'll manually find and apply for jobs
About Great Oaks Charter Schools
The mission of the Great Oaks Charter Schools is to prepare students to succeed in college. What sets Great Oaks Charter Schools apart from other charters is the use of additional instructional support implemented by the Great Oaks Fellows, a group of recent college graduates who provide up to two hours of daily individualized support to every student. Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
Great Oaks Design Principles
Mastery: For students to shape the world and not be defined by it, they must have deep knowledge and the ability to apply that to new contexts. Therefore, we emphasize hands-on, project-based curriculum and joyful teaching.
Leadership: The purpose of leadership is to support a vision of the world in which equity and justice are essential. Therefore, we offer leadership opportunities to students so that they can persist through challenges, plan proactively for their future, and collaborate with others.
Community: Community is predicated on the understanding that if it takes a village to raise a child, why not help raise the village. Therefore , we support the whole child in the development of healthy self-esteem and confidence through building deep relationships with others and themselves.
About Great Oaks Charter School - New York City
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - New York opened in 2013 on the Lower East Side of Manhattan with a focus on serving a heterogenous population of students. Currently, Great Oaks-New York City serves 310 students in grades 6-9. GO-NYC is growing to serve students in grades 6-12 by adding one grade level each year. Our first tenth grade class will begin in August of 2022.
GO-NYC High School is seeking a dynamic, mission-aligned candidate to join our team as a High School Guidance Counselor for the 2022-23 school year.
Guidance Counselors, through comprehensive school counseling programs of developmental, preventive, remedial, and responsive services, address academic development, college readiness, career development, and personal/social development of students. The comprehensive school counseling program aligns with the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) national model and standards and current counseling skills and competencies.
Key responsibilities & outcomes include:
- Uses data to develop comprehensive programs that meet the needs of students; establishes the school counseling program and develops activities and resources to implement and evaluate the program; develops and maintains a written plan for effective delivery of the school counseling program.
- Effectively implement a data-driven, grade-level appropriate college and career readiness program for all students.
- Utilize data to determine college readiness and to determine interventions needed to assist students to access post high school options.
- Uses data to guide program planning; conducts a yearly program audit to review extent of program implementation and effectiveness.
- Monitors student academic performance, behavior, and attendance and facilitates appropriate interventions.
- Provides individual and group counseling services to meet the developmental, preventive, and remedial needs of students.
- Consults with students, parents, teachers, and other school and community personnel to assist in meeting the needs of students.
- Coordinate all counseling services for students and assists with the coordination and implementation of student services in the school.
- Implements developmentally appropriate and prevention-oriented group activities to meet student needs and school goals.
- Assists all students, individually or in groups, with developing academic, career and personal/social skills, goals, and plans.
- Collaborates with parents/guardians and educators to assist students with educational, career, and life planning .
The successful candidate will be committed to providing compassionate care to all students and be adept at partnering with families and school staff to promote health and wellbeing.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Master's Degree from an accredited college or institution Preferred.
- Certified as a School Counselor/Guidance Counselor by the State of New York.
- Familiarity with the Naviance program and PowerSchool is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in the knowledge and use of Technology and computer applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in urban schools is preferred.
- Knowledge of current research and trends in school counseling and guidance.
- Knowledge of current research and trends in college and career readiness.
- Knowledge of crisis prevention and arbitration techniques.
- Ability to analyze data.
- “GRIT” - must have the ability to persevere and succeed at a challenging task.
- Relationship-building; must show evidence of building and leveraging strong relationships.
- Relentlessness - must be willing to do whatever it takes to constantly improve student achievement, including occasional evening and weekend commitments.
- Communicate Effectively - must be able to clearly communicate with peers and supervisors.
- Organization - excellent skills of organization and follow-through.
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education.
This position is for the 2022-2023 school year and the successful candidate will start in August of 2022. Selected candidates will be contacted to set up a video interview.
The GO-NYC requires all staff members to obtain and submit evidence of full COVID-19 vaccination. This decision was made to keep all staff and students safe as we return to in-person meetings and site visits. New hires will be able to start working with one dose of the vaccine as long as the second dose (where applicable) is scheduled within a month of the person's start date.