Blue Diamond Animal Hospital Las Vegas, NV
The Veterinary Assistant assists the veterinarians and technicians with patient care and treatment, monitors hospitalized pets, maintains inventory, prepares prescriptions, performs routine in-house laboratory work, educates clients regarding veterinary care and procedures, and assists with surgical procedures at Blue Diamond Animal Hospital. The Veterinary Assistant uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently without specific instructions but refers to deviations, problems, and unfamiliar situations not covered by instructions to the practitioner for decision help. The practitioners assure that the finished work and methods used are technically accurate and in compliance with instructions or established procedures.
Veterinary Assistant duties Responsibilities:
● Review medical records and notes made by the admission receptionist in order to discern the nature of the visit, and any tests or procedures that may be needed.
● Monitor patients’ vital signs, use proper restraint techniques, and X-Ray assistance.
● Clean and wrap surgical packs.
● Housekeeping duties include, but are not limited to: sweeping, mopping, laundry, disposing of trash, and restocking.
● Scan and attach patient info to patient files.
● Assist receptionists with answering phones and scheduling appointments when needed.
● Provide outstanding customer service
● Be on time and stay late when needed
● Look and act professionally as a representative of the hospital
● Work well under pressure, especially in emergency situations
● Assist with intubation of patients
● Train and mentor other staff who have less experience
● Able to bend, lift, and kneel for extended periods of time
● Work with fecal matter, urine, blood, and cleaning chemicals
● Complete medical paperwork appropriately
● Be able to communicate effectively with clients in person and over the telephone
● Administer medication to patients
● Understand how to prep patients for surgery
● Ability to use a stethoscope
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive pets; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches, and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases. Work is normally performed inside; some outside work is required. Follow federal and state animal health laws and regulations including OSHA and DEA.
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Veterinary work experience perferred.
● Capacity to lift 50 pounds
● A passion for animal welfare
● High School Diploma or equivalent
● Excellent work ethic
● Understand basic computer skills
● Ability to work well with coworkers, clients, and patients
At Blue Diamond WE CARE:
Our team agrees and believes in Wisdom, Empathy, Connecting, Attitude, Reliability, Eager to create a work environment that energizes team members to create value on behalf of our clients and patients. We would like these core values to reflect everyone that is part of the Blue Diamond family!
Our Mission is:
Encouraging and engaging experience with owners as they are provided with the highest standard or veterinary medicine from people that care.
● Health benefits are offered to full-time employees only after 60 days of employment.
● 1-week paid vacation after 1 year of continuous service.
Starting rate $13 per hour